Official Brantford Airport Web Site

Brantford Municipal Airport History 

Historical photo of Brantford Airport courtesy of the Brantford Flying Club

The Brantford Municipal Airport has a rich history that dates back to as early as 1929. The facility was first founded by the Brant-Norfolk Aero Club (known today as the Brantford Flying Club) in response to a grant offered by the Federal Government. The grant promised to supply two airplanes to any responsible flying club that would train pilots and operate an airfield. Although today the airport is located on Airport Road in Brant County, its original location was on King George Road (then known as St. George Road) and Fairview Drive – an intersection presently known to be one of Brantford’s busiest.

On November 11, 1940 the airport opened at its present site to support the World War II effort. The facility then, was primarily used for air force flight training and, at its peak, was home to about 600 aircraft, most of them military. After the war, the military moved out and the City of Brantford requested that the Brantford Flying Club take over management of the airport.

Historical photo of Brantford Airport courtesy of the Brantford Flying Club

 On April 27, 1970, after decades of Crown ownership, the airport lands were officially conveyed from the Crown to the Corporation of City of Brantford, on the condition that:

  • The Corporation not dispose of the airport lands; but it can sell, lease or dispose of airport buildings;
  • The Corporation not use or permit to be used the land for purposes other than airport purposes;
  • In the event the Corporation allows the land to be used for purposes other than airport uses, the land will revert back to the Crown.

Over the next three decades the airport has become a valuable part of Brantford’s infrastructure and economic development. It has been home to various on-site industries and served as a gateway linking Brantford’s local businesses to other markets. The airport has also been used as a training ground for new aviators and a place where recreational pilots can enjoy their hobby of flying.

Historical photo of Brantford Airport courtesy of the Brantford Flying Club

The airport has seen many improvements throughout the years. The 1984 runway extension was most significant, as it was completed in preparation for a visit by the Queen Elizabeth to present a communion set to the Chapel of the Mohawks. This extension lengthened the 05/23 runway from 4000' to 5000', the size it remains today.

In 2008 the City of Brantford invested 2.3 million dollars to rebuild two of the runways, 05/23 and 35/17. The runways are in excellent condition and have received compliments from pilots from around the country. Presently, the Brantford Municipal Airport is operated by the City of Brantford’s Property Management Department and managed by the Brantford Flying Club. It continues to serve a number of different industries such as general aviation enthusiasts, aviators-in-training and the business community. The airport is also host to the annual Rotary Brantford Charity Airshow, a crowd-pleaser that features acts including the legendary Snowbirds and the Canadian Forces Skyhawks. Historical photo of Brantford Airport courtesy of the Brantford Flying Club

Photos compliments of the Brantford Flying Club (opens in a new window).

Go to the top of the page